Sunday, June 9, 2013

Can You Save FRED? Activity

This is one of those classic science activities, that is always a HUGE hit with the students! Can you save FRED?  Click here for the FREE lab pack!

This poor gummy worm, named Fred, is stranded on the top of his overturned boat in the middle of a lake. He cannot swim and he needs to somehow get himself into the life preserver which is currently under the boat.

Without touching Fred, the cup, or the life preserver, can you and your partner save FRED using only the four paper clips provided? What would you do?

This lab is a great review of the scientific method and also a great way to encourage your kids to communicate and cooperate!


  

8 comments :

  1. Thanks! This looks engaging and fun!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the goal to just get Fred back in the boat? Is the lifesaver just a prop or is it key to "saving Fred"? I'd appreciate any info. you can send my way! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done this before. The goal is to get Fred into his life preserver and then into the boat. It kind of mentions this in the lab sheet (that he can not swim and was not wearing his life preserver). The trick, if the kids do not figure it out, is to use three paper clips to stretch the gummy life saver and the fourth to pull Fred through.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I'm going to sound stupid. I'm a new STEAM teacher and I'm super excited. I wanted to make this my first activity. But, how do you use it to review the scientific method. I'm hitting that first and would like to use this activity to do it. I think I know, but I want to be sure I'm not doing it wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! You can find the FREE lab in my tpt store with the Scientific Method pages. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Science-Notebook-Freebie-Can-You-Save-Fred-739946

    Just download and you are all set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which candy do you use as the life preserver? Should it have a hole in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I wanted to teach this lesson for a multi-age group of students. Their grades range from Second Grade to Ninth Grade. Do you have any suggestions on how I can implement this activity to engage all of the students?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover