31 August 2020

STEM @ Home - When Can I Do It?

Teaching in the virtual world is very different than teaching in the regular classroom environment.  I am going to do STEM @ Home challenges once a week for my classroom.  I plan on giving students the challenge on Fridays and then asking for it to be completed by the following Friday.  This way students have all week to get the challenge done.  

I encourage students to do the challenge with at least one other member of their families.  Often the students are really good at "thinking outside the box" while their parents are not!  The students love coming up with ideas that surprise their family members.


This straw challenge was done at school, but it could easily be done at home!  Kids need a package of straws (you can find these for $1 or less) and some tape.  Students need to build the tallest free standing straw tower.


This is another classroom STEM challenge that can be done at home!  Students need a bag of balloons.  These can be purchased at your local dollar store.  You can even mail a certain number of balloons to kids for the challenge.  Kids LOVE getting mail!

You can use STEM @ Home challenges OR send home a regular STEM challenge with easy to find and cheap materials!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About The Blog Author!

Hi there!  I am a 4th and 5th grade teacher with 25 years of experience in urban public schools.  I have taught in five different buildings ...

Powered by Blogger.

Grab my button!

Popular Posts

Los Angeles

Los Angeles

Total Pageviews